Monday, November 3, 2008

Peer Review Recap, Part 3

There are obviously clear patterns as I take a look back in time to parts 1 and 2 of the peer review recap. It's safe to say that my classmates agree that sometimes you get clear, concise, thoughtful comments that actually help when revising your paper. They would also agree that sometimes you get useless comments, jotted without much thought at all, by someone who wants to make sure they get credit. At the beginning of this process, I would have expected nothing different. When it comes right down to it, it depends how much effort you really put into editing. The same way you can neglect to leave any helpful comments on a paper that you can edit on google docs, you can breeze through a paper that you're holding in your hands and not make one mark with your red pen. I think what you wanted us to get out of using these online peer review forums is that "times-are-a-changin'" and paper copies of just about anything are soon to be obsolete. We not only need to be open minded to the idea of using them, but capable of actually using them effectively. What have I learned about myself you ask? I've learned that while I still can, I'm going to instill in my students the value of doing things without the use of the newest technology before editing a paper with a pen becomes laughable.

No comments: